Celebrating Heart Awareness Month
September is Heart Awareness Month – an entire month dedicated to raising awareness about cardiovascular disease in South Africa. But the reality is that the health of your heart should be something you consider every single day.
According to the Heart and Stroke Foundation, at least 80% of premature deaths can be prevented with a healthy and balanced diet, being physically active and avoiding smoking.
The bottom line is that having a healthy heart is something that you can achieve – and help your family achieve – simply by managing any existing health conditions and making healthy choices in your daily life.
Try these simple tips for great heart health every day:
- Select fat-free, 1% fat and low-fat dairy products.
- Use spices to season food instead of salt.
- Choose heart-healthy fats over saturated fats and trans fats.
- Cut back on food and drinks with added sugars.
- Buy and eat foods that are lower in salt.
- Limit foods that are high in dietary cholesterol.
- Choose more whole grains, legumes, fresh fruit and veg and low fat dairy products.
- Choose lean meat and poultry.
- Include fish in your diet.
- Lose weight if you are overweight.
- Watch your portion size at all meals.
- Become physically active for 30 to 60 minutes a day.
- Manage your stress.
- Control your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Stop smoking.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
Be especially good to your heart this month and make these positive changes permanent habits for a healthier you.