Tips to stay healthy while on holiday


Going on holiday is a time to unwind, celebrate, rejuvenate, see new places and try new things. But all the festivities can also make you a little nervous if you’re trying to eat healthy and maintain or lose weight.

Here are 7 ways to stay on a healthy eating plan while on holiday and still enjoying yourself!

1. Be realistic
Don’t try to lose kilograms during the holidays, rather try to maintain your current weight. Keeping some good routines in place will help. For instance, if Slimmers Tea forms part of your regular routine, take it with you on holiday and make time to relax with a cup or two every day.

2. Don’t skip meals
Before leaving for a party, eat a light snack like lean protein, raw vegetables or a piece of fruit to curb your appetite. You will be less tempted to over-indulge.

3. Ho, ho, H2O
Drink lots of water. Always carry a bottle of water with you, and have a glass of water between all other beverages like tea, coffee and cocktails. Your liver and skin will thank you!

4. Beware the booze
A couple of cocktails around the pool, a few more glasses of wine at dinner and maybe a nice liqueur afterwards… Without eating anything, you’ve already reached a sugar overload! Besides that, alcohol can lessen inhibitions and induce overeating. So go easy on the booze and choose lower-kilojoule drinks instead.

5. Sharing or portion control
A bit of splurging is okay – hey, you are on holiday – but not at every meal. Make sure your plate is filled with healthy, colourful food, and rather share that indulgent starter or desert with someone. That way you’ll get to taste more and even spend less!

6. Sneaky exercise
Even if your ideal holiday is lounging on the beach all day, there are more opportunities than you think to stay active. Go for a swim, take a stroll on the beach, take the stairs wherever you can and walk wherever you want to go.

7. Plan for moderation
Finally, you’re more likely to stick to your intentions to cut down on kilojoules, take the stairs and stay hydrated when you’ve got a game plan. Planning ahead to keep active and eat well 85% of the time and give in to cravings in the remaining 15%, will make a world of difference to your body, mind and soul.

join mailing list



    Thanks for the tips Herbex

  2. Adele

    Thanks, these tips are excellent!